Thursday, September 01, 2005

shane


this is a picture of shane macgowan, the lead singer of the irish band, and one of my favorites, the pogues. the purpose of this blog is to expose the devil for what he is; a thief. alcohol, too, is a thief, masquerading as a means to a good time. but it never lasts for long. God made this man to be a poet, i believe one of the best of our time, but his drinking has robbed him and us of what was once so beautiful. here's a taste of his poetry:
"ah london, you're a lady
laid out before my eyes
your golden heart is pulsing
between your scarred-up thighs
your eyes are full of sadness
red buses skirt your hem
your head-dress is a ring of lights
but i would not follow them
your architects were madmen
and your builders sane but drunk
and amidst your fading jewels
shine acid-house and punk
you are a scarlet lady
your streets run red with blood
my darling they have used you
and covered you with mud
it was deep down in your womb, my love
i drank my quart of sin
where chinamen played cards and draughts and knocked back mickey finns
your piss is like a river
its scent is beer and gin
your hell is in the summer
and you blossom in the spring
september is your purgatory
christmas is your heaven
when the stinking streets of summer
are washed away by rain
at the dark end of a lonely street
that's where you lose your pain
'tis then your eyes light up my love
and sparkle once again"

2 comments:

Lance Fisher said...

I really like that poem. It makes me think of something I recently read by Chesterton. He was talking about something becoming great because it is loved, and not the other way around. His example was a city.

If we love this little city of Missoula like Mr. MacGowan apparently loves London, I think it can become really wonderful. Not that Missoula isn't already a great place to live; it's beautiful on the outside, but I think that its soul is dark in so many ways. Missoula is drug-ridden, poverty-stricken, godless, proud, learned but foolish, and lost. However, if we pray and really love this place, I really think that God will make it great. Salt and light.

By this place, I mean the people who make up the city. Just as the church isn't the building, I don't think the city is the roads and buildings.

lafalda said...

lance that was beautiful. and i wholeheartedly agree.